The WWF is run at a local level by the following offices...
- WWF Global
- Central African Republic
- Central America
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- European Policy Office
Job announcement ‘’ Salonga Finance Administrator’’
We are looking for a dynamic and committed Finance Administrator to support conservation efforts.
The Salonga program takes an integrated conservation approach with a consortium of NGOs, government, community, and academic partners. Key conservation strategies include: protected area management; community land use planning; law enforcement and species conservation; community-based natural resource management and livelihood improvement mostly through small-scale sustainable agriculture and community forestry.
Effective protected area management is a cornerstone of WWF’s conservation efforts in the DRC, in close partnership with ICCN (Institut Congolais pour la Conservation de la Nature, the Protected Areas Authority in DRC). New, creative perspectives and strategies are needed to effectively manage protected areas in this challenging social, economic, cultural, and logistical environment.
In this context, the Finance administrator of the Salonga Programme will oversee the implementation of administrative procedures and financial control of the Programme. He/she will be based at least 30% of the time in Monkoto (WWF headquarters of SNP). He /She shall be in charge of developing and harmonising administrative and financial procedures and supervise administrative and logistics staff of the Programme in collaboration with the local Human Resources Office. He/she shall be in charge of developing financial reports and supporting the budget development for funding proposals.
Location: Monkoto (Salonga landscape in the Democratic Republic of Congo)
Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension.
- Main Functions:
- Technical coordination: He/she will assist in the development and harmonization of operational plans, budgets and contractual arrangements for activities under the direct responsibility of the Salonga Park Director.
- Human and financial resources management: with the direct support of the Human Resources Office, the Finance Department of WWF DRC and the local Administrative Assistant(s), the Administrator will provide the technical supervision of Programme staff as well as its financial management. He will be particularly responsible for justification of expenditures, the review of financial reports, budget planning, etc., according to established procedures of financial partners and WWF. He /She will therefore ensure that budgets are approved by the Park Director and expenditures justified before sending them to the accounting unit.
He /She will assist the “Finance, Administration and HR Department” of the SNP so that it can produce, respecting established management procedures, the Park’s annual financial statements (balance sheet, income statement, detailed explanatory annexes) in a condition to be audited annually by an internationally accredited auditing firm.
He /She will work closely with ICCN and WWF Kinshasa based accounting teams to integrate the ORACLE accounting principles in the practices of Salonga accounting in full respect of SAGE software. The Salonga Administrator will also closely collaborate with WWF colleagues in national offices in Germany, the US etc.
He /She will ensure financial reports to donors are of high quality, are reconciled with the Salonga general ledger, and are respectful of donor’s templates and regulations. He /She will also lead the cash flow in Monkoto.
- Strengthening partnerships: The Finance administrator will support the Park Director, Park Manager and the Development Rural Programme Manager in the structuring of a strategic partnership with ICCN and other partners in order to operationalize the co-management structure leading to a high-quality management of the SNP. This will mainly include: the development of partnership agreements with ICCN and other partners; supporting the development of a Foundation (statutes, structure of entities; establishment of committees etc.); supporting the preparation of descriptions for key financial/administrative positions and the respective capacity-building for the SNP management unit; support the implementation of the operational plan of the SNP; etc.
- Responsibilities and main tasks:
- Contribute to the preparation of budgets in accordance with the standards of WWF and the donor under the supervision of the Programme Coordinator.
- Ensure that adequate finance and administration systems and procedures are operational throughout the WWF sites linked to the Programme;
- Contribute, in consultation with ICCN’s financial and administrative unit (DAF ICCN) and in close cooperation with partners on the site, in drafting of the manual of managing budgetary, accounting and financial procedures specific to the SNP, which will be based on the General provisions laid down by the DAF-ICCN;
- Ensure that the “Finance, Administration and HR Department” of the SNP provides rigorous management budget that enables the production, within legal deadlines and according to OHADA standards, of auditable and certifiable annual financial statements;
- Produce and complete on time monthly financial reports, bank reconciliations and financial information requested by the WWF national office;
- Ensure the development and implementation of financial procedures aligned with the standard of WWF and current Congolese legislation as well as the requirements of donors;
- Prepare requests for funds based on solid expenditure plans consistent with the technical Programme;
- Ensure a proper posting of expenditures based on authorized budgets as well as proper documentation;
- Prepare and facilitate external and internal financial audits and participate if needed in other monitoring and evaluation processes;
- Prepare contracts and ensure that they are in accordance with current legislation;
- Ensure that the payment of salaries is made in a timely manner;
- Execution of other tasks entrusted by the hierarchy for the needs of the Service.
- University degree in economics, business administration or field related to accounting or a degree of equivalent professional training.
- At least 7 years’ experience in financial and project management in an international or multinational organization would be an advantage.
Required knowledge and Skills
- Capacity of rigorous financial management and accounting with a strong organizational capability, communication and computer skills;
- Knowledge of the use of ORACLE software is a major asset;
- Ability to analyze, prioritize and complete tasks with minimal supervision within strict deadlines;
- An understanding of institutions funded by international donors, particularly conservation organizations will be a definite advantage.
- This position requires an imaginative (creative) flexible, friendly and cooperative personality;
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills in French and English;
- Good administrative, financial, human resources and project management capabilities.
- Ability to work in difficult, problematic and complex conditions.
- Adherence to WWF’ s behaviors, which are: Strive for impact, listen deeply, collaborate openly and innovate fearlessly.
- Commitment to the mission of WWF and adherence to WWF’s values, which are: Courage, Integrity, Respect and Collaboration.
- Working Relations
Internal –Close working relations with the Salonga Park Director, other DRC based WWF staff such as the Head of Finance & IT, CAFEC Programme Financial Administrator, and the Human Resources Manager in order to coordinate efforts and mobilize support.
External –Working relations with key partners: Ministry of Environment and local authorities in charge of the management of protected areas (ICCN), partner NGOs and local communities
How to apply: Interested candidates should email a cover letter (with at least 3 references) and curriculum vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org , with the mention: Salonga Finance Administrator by March, 05 2022.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for follow up. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Female applicants are encouraged. WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce